Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Day 1

Totally unsure of what I was about to get myself into I did a lot of recipe research for this challenge. I took to Pinterest like it was my new Vegan Bible. Is there such a thing? Something as political as this can sometimes get I’d imagine that there is some sort of bible or book of Vegan laws. That’d be a lil much for me… I’m all about trying new things that may help in my personal health but getting political or downright rude about choices I make is where I’m out. No time for something like that about FOOD!


Pinterest! I quickly noticed that a majority of the recipes came from the same couple of blogs… I didn't want to intimidate myself with recipes that called for a bunch of new products that I wasn't familiar with. Nothing chaps my ass more than buying groceries that go to waste. I took a mental note of the items that I already had on hand that I could use during my challenge. Already had a good stock of black beans and chickpeas. I knew that I had a healthy helping of fresh veggies and frozen fruits. Even stocked up on my Chia seeds and Super Foods powders a week or so before. Honestly I was looking pretty good without going to the store.

The Sunday before I started this challenge, I made some homemade Almond Butter…




I attempted to make this before, and didn't have any luck with it. I ended up with just almond crumbles. Still ate them though! Apparently the little food processor I had wasn't badass enough. When hubby and I got married his supervisor got us a Ninja mini processor and I fell in Ninja heaven it was the best thing ever. Chopped onions into SOUP haha and no tears…that alone made this the best appliance in the world. Right next to my crockpot. So naturally when we were in Sam’s club and I saw the Super duper Ninja home system I wanted it! It came with a big boy processor a blender and 2 blender cups. My amazing hubby got it for me for Christmas. Probably the best gift I’ve ever gotten despite the fact that it was a home appliance. I know most women frown upon that.




Anywho, Almond butter I noticed was in a lot of the baking recipes I had come across. Also noticed that a lot of the folks I follow on Instagram use a lot of homemade nut butters in their daily meal plans. Figured it’s a good start. I've been using it on my morning oats, it adds a nutty flavor but isn’t overwhelming in taste. I also love the texture…mixed in with Bananas it definitely starts my morning off right. I get full but not icky feeling with my bowl and cup of tea. It’s just the right amount for me.

Trying to mentally prepare myself for the start of this challenge I planned my lunch and dinner in advance. Wanted to be sure I had all products on hand and wanted to be sure I felt like I was eating enough food so I wouldn't run into the kitchen and give up entirely for some creamy bacon soup. (which I make and it comes out yummy) I stopped at the store on my way home to pick up a couple specialty items and headed home for my first dinner Black bean & Mushroom Burgers man I did good!

My day in a nutshell –

Breakfast –
Quinoa-Steel Cut Oats blend
2 oz chopped walnuts
1 Sugar in the raw
1 tblsp Chia
Splash almond milk


Coffee w/Almond Milk



Smoothie -
¼ cup carrots
2oz blueberries
¼ banana
2 pineapple rings
1 serving amazing grass super foods Acai & Goji blend
Coconut water
Ice


Lunch -
1 cup baby spinach
¼ carrots
½ cup chick peas (rinsed & drained)
¾ cup mango avocado salsa (homemade)




Dinner-
Black bean & Mushroom Burgers (recipe coming)
Avocado (condiments)
Fancy greens (condiments)
Sweet Potato Fries



Green tea, water to get me through the day. I still have a soda and coffee habit I am not proud of. BUT I can proudly say that I don’t even finish a can of soda anymore on my own. I will open 1 and serve only half for myself. The coffee I still enjoy, and I’m not sure that’s something I will give up. I have switched to almond milk in it. May attempt a creamer instead that’s nondairy. I will also include that I have managed to kick my Splenda habit which I am very proud of that was a huge problem for me. I actually liked the flavor, who does that? Sugar in the raw is my new replacement… and it gets the job done. For now anyway…

No comments:

Post a Comment